Friday, June 01, 2007

Heading back to the US

So, I'm finally returning home from my brief stint in Europe. It's definitely been an interesting experience.

Don't get me wrong - I love to travel, and seeing Ireland (for the first time) and Moscow (for the second) has been a great experience but I'm ready to sleep in my own bed again.

I have to say, visiting Moscow in May is clearly much better then visiting in November/December. The last time I was here the sun came out from behind the clouds for literally 10 minutes in an over two week period --- and it was such an event that I took a picture to mark the occasion. During my most recent visit I don't think I saw a single cloud in the sky.

The most striking thing about Moscow for me is it's intense consumer culture- even more conspicuous then that of the New York! I don't think I've ever seen such a concentration of Louis Vuitton and Dolce & Gabbana in my life.

At any rate, I'm currently in the lounge at Международный Аэропорт Москва-Шереметьево (that's Sheremetyevo International Airport to non Russians) and I'm hoping this flight is a bit quieter then the one from London to Moscow. On my way in I was surrounded by a group of Russian students returning home (many clad in D&G, with the aforementioned LV bags - natch) who immediately broke out bottles of Moet the minute our plane hit the sky. The rest of the flight was like being at a bad karokie bar - the students were completely wasted and were singing bad pop music along to their iPods at the top of their lungs. We were treated to the worst of both Russian & English pop music - and to be honest I'm not sure I appreciated their rendition of "My Humps" at 3 in the morning.

Maybe I'm just getting (am?) old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home